What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel is located on the palm side of the wrist. It is made up of ligaments, bones, tendons. When CTS happens the median nerve that runs through the carpal tunnel comes under pressure and therefore gets squeezed by the tendons present in your wrist. When you have arthritis and when you do years of repetitive hand movements that can cause the tendons to swell.
It is believed that carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused when repetitive actions are performed by hands. CTS can affect any person who is performing multiple repetitive movements with their hands.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Tingling and numbness of the hands
- You might get electric shock like feeling that too in the thumb, long fingers and index fingers
- You will get unusual sensations and pain will also move upwards towards the arm or towards the shoulder
Below guidelines can help a carpal tunnel patient
- You must avoid repeating the wrist and hand movements
- You also need to pay attention to the wrists and hands if their I even a slightly painful sensation or if you feel pain, discomfort or numbness then get yourself checked by a physician or a doctor
- If a person with carpal tunnel syndrome is doing repetitive hand moments, then it is advised to take frequent breaks in between the task
- The patient must keep the wrist in neutral position and the wrist must not be extended too far or flexed down too low
- Use only the largest joints to lift. Only use the largest joints to when lifting such as shoulders to avoid stress from hands, fingers and wrists
- The objects must not be held the same way for too long
- Avoid holding the same object for a very long time
- Avoid the usage of power tools like floor slander, jackhammers that can vibrate
- The arms, wrists, hands that have problem must not be bent
10 Home Remedies for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Gentle finger, hand and wrist stretching exercises must be done
- Use a carpal tunnel brace to rest the median nerve.Using carpal tunnel brace will help relieve pressure from the median nerve. If you wear a carpal tunnel brace you won’t feel numbness and the pain caused due to it.
- Perform wrist stretching exercises by doing gentle finger, hand exercises
- Massage the palm, wrist and back of the hands
- Wear work gloves to perfect your wrists and hands
- If you apply heat to the wrists to reduce the pain
- Wear an ice pack as that might help you by reducing the swelling
How to prevent Carpal Tunnel?
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Quit Smoking as it will interfere with the blood flow and make the carpal tunnel syndrome worse.
- Keep your weight down as obesity can slow down the speed of nerve messages and that will lead to lack of physical activity and can increase the CTS risk.
- Do not sleep in the positions that can make your wrists curl or bend
- The person with CTS must keep his/her hands warm to prevent the stiffness. If you work in a cold place, then consider wearing fingerless gloves.
- Loosen your grip and force when you are working with your hands.
- While you are taking quick and frequent breaks by repetitively doing different exercises at that time you must rest your hands and change its position.
- Stretch your fingers, hands and wrists. Rotate them in circles and then flex, extend your palms and fingers.
- Improve your body and posture at work station by paying attention to the use of keyboard, monitor, chair, mouse and other equipment and tools.
Who is at high risk of Carpal Tunnel?
Various factors increase the chances of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Age: People who are aged are more likely to suffer from wear and tear of the muscles
Health Conditions: There are many kinds of illnesses, like rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, and diabetes, that play a big role.
Hand Usage: Those people who work often with their hands, like musicians, laborers, and office workers, have more chances of facing the problem. Past injuries can also be the result of it.
If you notice any symptoms, you must immediately consult your doctor. There are various options and treatments available in the market.