We all want to stay healthy and be the best versions of ourselves. We want our immune system to remain strong, our weight under check, and all the systems working as efficiently as possible. But the question arises what do we do to get all those things?
Turmeric can be easily found in your kitchen, and you can start adding it to your foods from today itself. Turmeric is a spice that comes from Curcuma roots. It is also known as a golden spice, and it originated in South Asia.
People go to the gym and exercise. Some do yoga and meditation, while others do aerobics. But do you know your actual health begins in your own home? You guessed it right. It is actually your kitchen. What you feed your body is extremely important. To fuel your system, your body utilizes whatever you provide it. Let it be fast food, organic, vegan, or anything else. Consequences you already know.
Making small shifts in consuming food items and increasing the intake of the right amount and kind of food can bring significant improvement in your body’s functioning.
Turmeric, here, can make a huge impact on your health. Though they are used in low quantity, they are packed with numerous health benefits.
10 Reasons to Add Turmeric to your Diet
- Better health for your precious heart.
- Improved immune system.
- Controls and inhibits degenerative disorders.
- Brings a glow to your skin.
- Fights carcinogens (cancer-causing cells).
- Relaxes headaches and flu symptoms.
- Helps lower cholesterol levels.
- Increases antioxidants in your body.
- It benefits people suffering from depression.
- Improves brain functioning.
Why Turmeric is Good for Health
The bioactive compounds
Turmeric includes some bioactive compounds like Curcumin, Demethoxycurcumin, and Bisdemethoxycurcumin.
- Improves eyes’ health.
- Improves kidney functioning.
- Brings relief during colds and fevers.
- Helpful in killing various types of cancer cells and overcoming the effect of cancer on the body.
- Clears blood and toxins.
- Proliferation inhibition – the percentage of the treated cell number relative to the untreated control cells.
- Metastasis suppression – Inhibiting the process of cancer metastasis.
- Apoptosis induction – Intrinsic apoptosis is activated by internal DNA damage within the cell.
Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Anti-inflammatory properties- Turmeric has a property that reduces inflammation like swelling, burning, redness, scratches, or any type of pain. It also reduces headaches, helps cure body illness, and reduces weakness.
- Increased antioxidant- There are free radicals in our bodies. These free radicals react with the organic substances creating bigger problems. Antioxidants actually help neutralize the free radicals keeping your body safe and sound.
- Better brain functioning- Our brain is made of neurons. Neurons can multiply, thereby improving our brain functionality. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is one of the important drivers. Curcumin in Turmeric helps increase BDNF, which leads to better brain functioning.
- Lesser risk of heart diseases- Regular consumption of Turmeric improves the functioning of the lining of blood vessels. This, in turn, allows the blood to flow freely and smoothly, without any obstruction. Your heart will have to work less, and thereby not just the heart will work better, but you will get a longer life too. The best part is that you can use Turmeric in any dish. Be it sauteed veggies, egg omelet, soup, rice dishes, etc.
- Helps prevent cancer cells- Inflammation is the cause of many diseases, and Turmeric has the ability to provide relief. Many studies have proven that Turmeric can inhibit and prevent the growth of certain types of cancer cells.
- For the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease- In Alzheimer’s disease, the brain cells shrink and then die. It is a progressive disease that destroys memory and other important brain functions. Turmeric can stop the breakdown of brain cells and thereby helps in the treatment of the patient’s suffering.
- Cures skin problems – It is a well-known fact that the use of Turmeric in the form of a face mask can bring out the glow of your skin. It clears the skin, kills germs, and makes your skin look radiant.
Follow this simple Turmeric recipe.
Blend one cup of yogurt with two teaspoons of Turmeric. Blend till it is smooth (no lumps). Apply it to your skin and let it sit for the next 35 to 45 minutes. Rinse it off. It’ll clear off the skin from any infection and bring a glow.
Ayush Henry is a prolific copywriter. He is a professional soft skills trainer known for his boundless energy and enthusiasm. Ayush holds MBA in hospitality and a Master of Arts in English. He indulged himself in creative writing and has been crafting online and print educational materials since 2010.